Results 1 to 9 of 9

First Half Comments

This is a discussion on First Half Comments within the Georgia Tech Football forums, part of the Georgia Tech Sports Message Boards category; - Marshall has made all the right reads to his credit. - Van Gorder is running the old wishbone defense ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    899

    First Half Comments

    - Marshall has made all the right reads to his credit.
    - Van Gorder is running the old wishbone defense like he did at Notre Dame. The problem is that his defense is too slow to get to the corners.
    - I didn't think it was possible to have a worse 2 minute defense than Roof but Woody has proved me wrong.
    - Nice to see a Tech field goal split the uprights
    - Offense better keep scoring because the defense isn't stopping Louisville.


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    899
    Offensive line had as dominant a performance as I've ever seen in the PJ era. Defense still scares me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Sep 2012
    Posts

    3,095
    well that was a ****ing ass whooping! Extend CPJ!! One of the greatest victories ever!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    6,470
    Quote Originally Posted by RamblinWreck92 View Post
    well that was a ****ing ass whooping! Extend CPJ!! One of the greatest victories ever!!
    Over five hundred yards rushing, only attempted to pass twice, no turnovers, never punted. Four point favorite that wins by 35--and it was not that close. Our pass defense is not existent. But we are firmly entrenched in the strategy that we have won with (when we have won) the last ten years, that being score, score, score, deny the opponent possession of the football, keep our defense on the sidelines for as long as possible, and shorten the game. It worked well last night. We even kicked a field goal. Played a lot of kids, so that can only help. But we are not a complete football team and I submit we are not trying to be. Against the teams that can stop or even slow down our offense, we will have trouble passing. We basically have no passing offense or pass defense. I know, we once beat Notre Dame without even attempting a pass. It would be nice to hang 66 points on Miami, VPI, Georgia, or even Duke, but I don't believe that is going to happen. But, then again, I was not expecting us to blow Louisville away either.
    Last edited by Yukonwreck; 10-06-2018 at 10:32 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    2,598
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonwreck View Post
    Over five hundred yards rushing, only attempted to pass twice, no turnovers, never punted. Four point favorite that wins by 35--and it was not that close. Our pass defense is not existent. But we are firmly entrenched in the strategy that we have won with (when we have won) the last ten years, that being score, score, score, deny the opponent possession of the football, keep our defense on the sidelines for as long as possible, and shorten the game. It worked well last night. We even kicked a field goal. Played a lot of kids, so that can only help. But we are not a complete football team and I submit we are not trying to be. Against the teams that can stop or even slow down our offense, we will have trouble passing. We basically have no passing offense or pass defense. I know, we once beat Notre Dame without even attempting a pass. It would be nice to hang 66 points on Miami, VPI, Georgia, or even Duke, but I don't believe that is going to happen. But, then again, I was not expecting us to blow Louisville away either.
    Yuk,
    Trust me , until we learn to pass we will not hang those big numbers on any of teams going forward.BUT-it is nice to clarify the OFF/blocking and FG questions somewhat..That leaves the DEF . hmmm?,

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Sep 2012
    Posts

    3,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonwreck View Post
    Over five hundred yards rushing, only attempted to pass twice, no turnovers, never punted. Four point favorite that wins by 35--and it was not that close. Our pass defense is not existent. But we are firmly entrenched in the strategy that we have won with (when we have won) the last ten years, that being score, score, score, deny the opponent possession of the football, keep our defense on the sidelines for as long as possible, and shorten the game. It worked well last night. We even kicked a field goal. Played a lot of kids, so that can only help. But we are not a complete football team and I submit we are not trying to be. Against the teams that can stop or even slow down our offense, we will have trouble passing. We basically have no passing offense or pass defense. I know, we once beat Notre Dame without even attempting a pass. It would be nice to hang 66 points on Miami, VPI, Georgia, or even Duke, but I don't believe that is going to happen. But, then again, I was not expecting us to blow Louisville away either.
    Yeah not sure what you saw in Loserville - they've sucked all year. Can't say that for Miami or the mutts. VPI is beatable but ONLY if we pass it. FCS ODU lit VPI the **** up via the pass. Notre Shame lit 'em up too.

    Foster has always stuffed the CPJ offense and likely will again. We had to complete a couple of Post Bombs last year to beat 'em - we'll almost surely have to again this year.

    I agree, Yuke: Attempting 2 passes shows CPJ is NOT trying to get better - only to win and probably save his job. This one-dimensional football will not beat any decent teams on our schedule. It hasn't so far. Loserville and BG aren't ranked in the top 100. Puke, VPI, Miami and the mutts are.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    765
    Is it possible that CPJ didn't show any pass plays because he didn't have to? Although I do agree that we don't seem to have that aspect of our game in any kind of decent shape, I am basing that conclusion on weeks old data.

    Go JACKETS! THWG!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    2,598
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Nuke View Post
    Is it possible that CPJ didn't show any pass plays because he didn't have to? Although I do agree that we don't seem to have that aspect of our game in any kind of decent shape, I am basing that conclusion on weeks old data.

    Go JACKETS! THWG!
    Nuke-I'm sure he didn't have to pass but I'm sure that if we don't pass well vs dook and vt ,we will probably lose.That is their weakness.I doubt if we can take advantage enough.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    wadley ga
    Posts

    8,035
    Blog Entries
    8
    Got to throw the rock.........in todays game with men in the spread qb has time to look and throw and with ten yd cushion that we give ..well you can imagine how open our guys can be.........course if dook has pass rush we are in trouble..........think we have to fling it to win it.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •