Results 1 to 9 of 9

Maybe we will excel at Flag Football?

This is a discussion on Maybe we will excel at Flag Football? within the Georgia Tech Football forums, part of the Georgia Tech Sports Message Boards category; NCAA suggests contact limits for football practice - ESPN I am trying to understand who gains an advantage under this ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,966

    Maybe we will excel at Flag Football?

    NCAA suggests contact limits for football practice - ESPN


    I am trying to understand who gains an advantage under this scenario. Yes, of course all players benefit injury-wise, I guess. But does this tend to level the playing field, or does it give the teams that have better natural athletes who are going to be good, whether they practice or not, the edge? I am leaning towards the idea that less 'hitting' practice will help teams like Georgia Tech. Improved execution should help us overcome our lack of raw athleticism. And I feel it is a given that an injury to one of our frontline players hurts us more that an injury at a talent laden factory program, so possibly this could be helpful in keeping our best 22 on the field. What say you?
    Last edited by Yukonwreck; 07-08-2014 at 09:34 AM.


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    530
    Couldn't the coach simply put this change in place if he thought it would have a positive impact on performence?

    Go JACKETS! THWG!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    wadley ga
    Posts

    4,840
    Blog Entries
    2
    Love to hear NY JACKET on this........he played under Dodd and we all know or at least the story is...........they played volley ball at practice..kind of doubt that is true but I do think Dodd cut down on contack and kept folks fit for Saturday.What say ye NY ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Nuke View Post
    Couldn't the coach simply put this change in place if he thought it would have a positive impact on performence?

    Go JACKETS! THWG!
    So you are saying that, since no coach does this, it is probably detrimental to performance? Would every team be damaged in the same way or to the same degree, I wonder?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    Love to hear NY JACKET on this........he played under Dodd and we all know or at least the story is...........they played volley ball at practice..kind of doubt that is true but I do think Dodd cut down on contack and kept folks fit for Saturday.What say ye NY ?
    I could be wrong, but I thought one of Dodd's former players once posted that they never hit more than one practice a week once the season started. Anyone? Or am I dreaming?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Sep 2012
    Posts

    1,736
    Anything that helps our option offense evade tackles will benefit us, since that seems to be the key to us gaining yards. Throwing the ball would be a nice 'option' but I ain't holdin' my breath.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    530
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonwreck View Post
    So you are saying that, since no coach does this, it is probably detrimental to performance? Would every team be damaged in the same way or to the same degree, I wonder?
    Well I don't claim to be an expert or anything, but is there much about player development and pregame preparation that is still really unknown by now? if someone knows a better way to do something, once revealed, it pretty much gets dissimenated throughout the college football landscape pretty quyickly IMHO.

    Go JACKETS! THWG!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,966
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by RamblinWreck92 View Post
    Anything that helps our option offense evade tackles will benefit us, since that seems to be the key to us gaining yards. Throwing the ball would be a nice 'option' but I ain't holdin' my breath.
    Take heart, Grasshopper. Justin Thomas may be the long sought after 1000 yard rusher and 2000 yard passer. We might see the Diamond some. And we might just see one of our former quarterback A-backs throw a pass downfield off of Jet motion.
    Last edited by Yukonwreck; 07-08-2014 at 03:59 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    wadley ga
    Posts

    4,840
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonwreck View Post
    i could be wrong, but i thought one of dodd's former players once posted that they never hit more than one practice a week once the season started. Anyone? Or am i dreaming?
    read or heard the same thing but who knows!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •