Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

How tough is the SEC really?

This is a discussion on How tough is the SEC really? within the Georgia Tech Football forums, part of the Georgia Tech Sports Message Boards category; The preeminent conference, so everyone says--including the World Wide Leader. Recently several teams moved into different conferences and struggled. Nebraska ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,584

    How tough is the SEC really?

    The preeminent conference, so everyone says--including the World Wide Leader. Recently several teams moved into different conferences and struggled. Nebraska into the Big Ten, Texas Christian and West Virginia to the Big 12, Syracuse and Pittsburgh to the ACC, and Utah and Colorado to the Pac 12. The onliest two that didn't struggle were Texas A & M and Mizzou going into the hallowed halls of the SEC. And they were not even dominant in their former conferences. So just how tough is it?


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    wadley ga
    Posts

    4,052
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonwreck View Post
    The preeminent conference, so everyone says--including the World Wide Leader. Recently several teams moved into different conferences and struggled. Nebraska into the Big Ten, Texas Christian and West Virginia to the Big 12, Syracuse and Pittsburgh to the ACC, and Utah and Colorado to the Pac 12. The onliest two that didn't struggle were Texas A & M and Mizzou going into the hallowed halls of the SEC. And they were not even dominant in their former conferences. So just how tough is it?
    See your point but would love to play Aubie or BAMA or Carolina etc over Wake or Dook and AM and Mizzen were loaded this yr....man what a butt whipping they put on Georgie!

  3. #3
    Rdm
    Rdm is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Jan 2012
    Location

    Lehighton, PA
    Posts

    274
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    See your point but would love to play Aubie or BAMA or Carolina etc over Wake or Dook and AM and Mizzen were loaded this yr....man what a butt whipping they put on Georgie!
    I wonder how people at Aubie, Dook, Mizzen, and Georgie refer to GT. Anybody know?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    wadley ga
    Posts

    4,052
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rdm View Post
    i wonder how people at aubie, dook, mizzen, and georgie refer to gt. Anybody know?
    naw have no idea but the other schools have been referred to by the names quoted for years......dodd called pups georgie every chance he got.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    9,232
    Tougher than the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 etc.

    Mizzou went 5-7 their first year but seemed like a pretty good football team last year. It also helps that UGA, UF and UT sucked

    A&M had Manziel who accounted for so much of their success.

    Highest bowl win % last year at 7-3. Pac 12 was the only other major conference anywhere close at 6-3. ACC was 5-6

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,584
    Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaMGTmjr View Post
    Tougher than the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 etc.

    Mizzou went 5-7 their first year but seemed like a pretty good football team last year. It also helps that UGA, UF and UT sucked

    A&M had Manziel who accounted for so much of their success.

    Highest bowl win % last year at 7-3. Pac 12 was the only other major conference anywhere close at 6-3. ACC was 5-6
    I wasn't challenging the notion that the SEC is good. I know that they are. But the state run media outlet, ESPN would have you believe it's the SEC up here, and everybody else is way down here, a notch above intramurals. The conventional wisdom had Missouri taking years to get up to speed. You are correct, the SEC east was down, but Spurrier was still there. In year 2 they're in the championship game. The ACC will never have a good bowl record because we send too many teams to bowls like Syracuse and Georgia Tech.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I wonder how people at Aubie, Dook, Mizzen, and Georgie refer to GT. Anybody know?
    In the comments section on AJC, the butt sniffers/nad lickers usually call us the bugs. Screw 'em.

    Go JACKETS! THWG!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    9,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonwreck View Post
    I wasn't challenging the notion that the SEC is good. I know that they are. But the state run media outlet, ESPN would have you believe it's the SEC up here, and everybody else is way down here, a notch above intramurals. The conventional wisdom had Missouri taking years to get up to speed. You are correct, the SEC east was down, but Spurrier was still there. In year 2 they're in the championship game. The ACC will never have a good bowl record because we send too many teams to bowls like Syracuse and Georgia Tech.
    We send so many teams like Sryacuse and Georgia Tech to bowls because that's basically what the ACC is! (sans FSU and Clemson) LSU, Bama, Auburn, USCe, UGA, etc is what the SEC is and it's why they are better than everyone else! And yes the SEC is down and yes Steve Spurrier is there but guess what? Spurrier beat Mizzou! Beating UF and UGA last year isn't really much to brag about, hell, we took UGA to OT.

    I could use that same logic and say that the ACC is REALLY tough because Miami was good until they got in.

    I think A&M's success is easily explained by Manziel; he's the only reason they did so well. Could just be that Mizzou had a great season...they beat OK St which was no slouch in their bowl game.

    Is anyone really going to argue that the SEC is the toughest conference to play in? That is to say, it's a very tough conference to win and to come out completely unscathed is an amazing feat, certainly more so than any of the other conferences.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,584
    Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaMGTmjr View Post
    We send so many teams like Sryacuse and Georgia Tech to bowls because that's basically what the ACC is! (sans FSU and Clemson) LSU, Bama, Auburn, USCe, UGA, etc is what the SEC is and it's why they are better than everyone else! And yes the SEC is down and yes Steve Spurrier is there but guess what? Spurrier beat Mizzou! Beating UF and UGA last year isn't really much to brag about, hell, we took UGA to OT.

    I could use that same logic and say that the ACC is REALLY tough because Miami was good until they got in.

    I think A&M's success is easily explained by Manziel; he's the only reason they did so well. Could just be that Mizzou had a great season...they beat OK St which was no slouch in their bowl game.

    Is anyone really going to argue that the SEC is the toughest conference to play in? That is to say, it's a very tough conference to win and to come out completely unscathed is an amazing feat, certainly more so than any of the other conferences.
    I won't argue it, but there are plenty that are beating the drum for the Pac 12 now. And, yes, the SEC has some powerful teams, but they also have (right now) Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky that would all fit nicely into Conference USA.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    wadley ga
    Posts

    4,052
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonwreck View Post
    I won't argue it, but there are plenty that are beating the drum for the Pac 12 now. And, yes, the SEC has some powerful teams, but they also have (right now) Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky that would all fit nicely into Conference USA.
    I agree those you mentioned would do well in Conference USA but.......doubt the teams will stay down in talent.You dont fall of the board like Tenn ,and Ark and Fla and expect fans to pat your butt and say we will get better next year. Problem is Ark,Tenn and Fla as down as they are can still whip us.Now Vandy and KY are hit and miss but the others have had sucess and the fan base will not be satisfied until they return to the top.Shoot give me Fla athletes and I would be happy......

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •