Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

TOS reporting CCK to FSU

This is a discussion on TOS reporting CCK to FSU within the Georgia Tech Football forums, part of the Georgia Tech Sports Message Boards category; Originally Posted by Atllove apparently he is a respectable coach if he has been mentioned before for a position with ...

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Atllove View Post
    apparently he is a respectable coach if he has been mentioned before for a position with Alabama ..
    I wonder how much this will impact recruiting.
    A lot. Charles Kelly was arguably our best recruiter, and you can tell from the response from the defensive players after the bowl game that a lot of the guys have strong feelings for him. Pretty much every defensive player was lobbying for him to be the DC. I won't say he's going to be a big loss until we know who CPJ plans to replace him with, but he's not going to be easy to replace.

    Word is the staff has known about this for a while and that he wanted to personally tell the guys on the team before making an announcement...but FSU leaked it. Makes the celebration in the coordinator booth look a lot different in hindsight now. Sounds like he wanted a change from GT, and potentially being promoted to DC wasn't even a factor. Read into that what you want.


  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,364
    BTW...Kelly is going to clean house recruiting for FSU. Walking into a HS with FSU on his shirt is going to do a LOT more than walking in with GT on his shirt. Sorry, but that's just the truth right now.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    159

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Dec 2011
    Posts

    226

    It's confirmed guys

    According to Rivals.com CPJ has confirmed it as of late Monday.

    But here is my question. I checked the commits, to this point, according the Rivals and Scout the only one Kelly is listed on as the recruiter is the DB out of Jersey, cant remember his name.

    Our big recruits are mostly being handled by Preston and McCoullough. That includes Custis.

    Can someone help me out some, when I read the commit lists I see coaches other than Kelly associated with the kids yet you guys are saying he is the main guy in recruiting which is it.

    One more thing, I know some of you may have a better picture as to what is happening but we seem to be convinced that Kelly wanted the DC position or that CPJ dosent have someone else he would rather have.

    Why are we assuming Fl State took our guy or that we lost him ? Wouldn't we have to have asked him to stay in order for either to be the case ?

    It sounds like the entire staff knew he was leaving before we or the kids did. I suppose if it was held that State got him, until after the games were over it would stand to reason that CPJ has moved forward and we may have ours also ( from a team that was still playing or a person who could not go public yet)
    Last edited by Blazer529; 01-08-2013 at 02:08 AM.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Oct 2011
    Posts

    642
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer529 View Post
    According to Rivals.com CPJ has confirmed it as of late Monday.

    But here is my question. I checked the commits, to this point, according the Rivals and Scout the only one Kelly is listed on as the recruiter is the DB out of Jersey, cant remember his name.

    Our big recruits are mostly being handled by Preston and McCoullough. That includes Custis.

    Can someone help me out some, when I read the commit lists I see coaches other than Kelly associated with the kids yet you guys are saying he is the main guy in recruiting which is it.

    One more thing, I know some of you may have a better picture as to what is happening but we seem to be convinced that Kelly wanted the DC position or that CPJ dosent have someone else he would rather have.

    Why are we assuming Fl State took our guy or that we lost him ? Wouldn't we have to have asked him to stay in order for either to be the case ?

    It sounds like the entire staff knew he was leaving before we or the kids did. I suppose if it was held that State got him, until after the games were over it would stand to reason that CPJ has moved forward and we may have ours also ( from a team that was still playing or a person who could not go public yet)
    CCK is a great recruiter. I don't know about this year, since I didn't follow recruiting so closely. But next year, Myles Autry is a big time prospect who we had a very good chance of landing as long as CCK is here. Regardless, I don't think CPJ wanted to lose CCK. But hey, people get better jobs and move. Sometimes it's the money. Sometimes it's other things. Whatever it is, I wish him and his family, the best. He has given a lot to GT.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    9,337
    Quote Originally Posted by AllGT View Post
    BTW...Kelly is going to clean house recruiting for FSU. Walking into a HS with FSU on his shirt is going to do a LOT more than walking in with GT on his shirt. Sorry, but that's just the truth right now.
    I think anybody walking into a HS with a FSU shirt on and a scholly in his hand could recruit well for FSU.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Decatur
    Posts

    1,335
    Quote Originally Posted by pckl300 View Post
    I would say big time. Reportedly, he's the only good recruiter on our current staff.
    It was about this time two years ago that GT was at Fogo de Chao with a bunch of recruits. I believe Tuitt was there. I struck up a several minute conversation with Kelly outside the main dining area. He was a very personable fellow and seemed to be "all GT" that night. Too bad he couldn't close the deal on Tuitt that night.
    Get off my lawn.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    95
    Did any one think this may be for the best? I mean if we hire a new DC odds are he will want to bring in a guy or two with him to run things his way. And we know CPJ won't really fire someone unless they really deserve it. (Groh and that other guy before we got our special teams coach) this might be a blessing in disguise so the new DC can bring in another new guy that is in line with his schemes on recruiting, and Xs&Os.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    430
    Congrats to Kelly.

    That said I hate to see him go.

    But coaches move on, Beamer and Mack Brown being exceptions.

    I don't see any big mysterious conspiracy here. Kelly most likely knew of this (as did CPJ) for some time.

    Why didn't they tell us? They're not stupid in spite of what some people think.

    I'm sure we'll find out rather quickly who's on the short list now that THE game is over.
    "We're not here to have a Norman Vincent Peale "Power of Positive Thinking" get together or a Georgia Tech Football Revival Meeting."

    Jim Hart

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,776
    Quote Originally Posted by AllGT View Post
    A lot. Charles Kelly was arguably our best recruiter, and you can tell from the response from the defensive players after the bowl game that a lot of the guys have strong feelings for him. Pretty much every defensive player was lobbying for him to be the DC. I won't say he's going to be a big loss until we know who CPJ plans to replace him with, but he's not going to be easy to replace.

    Word is the staff has known about this for a while and that he wanted to personally tell the guys on the team before making an announcement...but FSU leaked it. Makes the celebration in the coordinator booth look a lot different in hindsight now. Sounds like he wanted a change from GT, and potentially being promoted to DC wasn't even a factor. Read into that what you want.
    ...wanted a change from Georgia Tech. Like so many do. I fully acknowledge that position coach at Tech to position coach at Florida State is, indeed, a move up in that field, and Tallahassee is an absolute great place to live. But it does make one speculate about the environment on Johnson's staff, where even the lure of being DC wasn't enough to hang around. Maybe Kelly was a Groh supporter? Maybe it is a snake pit? Who knows. Obviously, we now have TWO openings to fill on defense, without an AD on board to supervise a process that our head coach has PROVEN that he has little aptitude for. Promote Stamps? I am really concerned about CPJ and his ability (or interest) in making these hires.

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •