This is a discussion on Insight Into the Vad Dilemma within the Georgia Tech Football forums, part of the Georgia Tech Sports Message Boards category; “For some reason, when those lights turn on and it’s game time, I’m ready,” he said. “I feel like I ...
“For some reason, when those lights turn on and it’s game time, I’m ready,” he said. “I feel like I can’t be stopped.”
Tech’s Lee gaining momentum | Georgia Tech
BTW...I think CPJ going heavier Pistol this year is a result of our QBs nagging him about doing more out of the shotgun. It helps that his most talented QB in 20 years played out of it in HS:
Apparently Vad played defense as well in HS...
I didn't feel like we had more room to run out of the ski-gun set, really. At least not for the B-Back on the triple option. We did everything we could to keep him from cutting back before he got to the hole. The blocking on the triple is set up so that you really need to stay on that "track" as a running back between the guard and the defensive end. Cutting underneath the guards block means running straight into a middle linebacker who you're trying to block with the offensive tackle.
It did give us some more room to do some stuff with the QB. We had a fun little QB trap off of a fake triple option that I don't think you could realistically make work from under center.
The things you worry about with the SkiGun are:
1) Increased time it takes the BB to hit the hole in the triple
2) Having to hold your blocks for a little longer
3) Teams having an extra few seconds to key the A-Back motion (since he's starting from wider out and it taks you longer to snap it after motion begins)
4) Increased time for safety to run into the alley and break up the play.
There are some positives, like
1) QB has a clearer read on D-End (because he doesn't have to try to look around any trash at the line of scrimmage)
2) QB has a great angle to attack the pitch key. It's more straight at that outside backer.
3) Easier to throw it quickly.
4) Some running plays you couldn't do easily out of under center.
It is what it is.
I wonder how much of it is marketing for recruiting too. At least to be able to say "Naw, we run some shotgun stuff." to a skill position guy who has heard otherwise. I don't know.
Said it MANY times...as Vad goes, so goes our recruiting in the future.
2 carries for 23 yards (11.5 avg) and 4-4 passing for 41 yards with a QB rating of 186. Maybe he should have played more as he was one of the few players that MTSU didn't stop.
David Sims looked great in mop up duty at QB at one time too. I think it's time we give up the Vad Lee QB experiment and move him to linebacker...did you see how natural he looked playing LB in HS? His tackling form and ability to track the ball was preternatural! Much more fun to watch him at LB than Jeremiah Attachou or Brandon Watts...
I would really like to see Vad run the jet read play that Tevin was running against Miami. It worked pretty well and I think play action with that play and out of that formation could be successful.