Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Current state of GA Tech football

This is a discussion on Current state of GA Tech football within the Georgia Tech Football forums, part of the Georgia Tech Sports Message Boards category; "Out-coached in overtime". This is a debate question: is overtime really football? Or is it a contrivance for the convenience ...

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,362
    "Out-coached in overtime". This is a debate question: is overtime really football? Or is it a contrivance for the convenience of the TV networks and the rankings to dispense with the indigestible tie game? Yes, I will acknowledge that overtime, by rule, is now part of the college football landscape, and as such we should be better at it than we are. I say that we are being outcoached LEADING UP TO OVERTIME, since if I remember correctly, we have had the lead in all three of these games--we got tied, we didn't do the come-from-behind thing--they others guys did. They took our win away and forced the overtime each time. That is where we are getting bested.


  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Jul 2012
    Posts

    856
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickinGa View Post
    Many of us once thought that that "something else" was CPJ's mystical magical option offense...
    Me too, and I don't regret that we gave it a try, but the triple option doesn't beat the good teams
    I don't know what we do now, but we are not in a good position
    We are a very average team that appears to have very few NFL quality player's or even game changer's on our roster
    It's tough to be a GA Tech fan now, but I stand with my team through these times and will be at every home game from well before kick off until the final play

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Jul 2012
    Posts

    856
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonwreck View Post
    "Out-coached in overtime". This is a debate question: is overtime really football? Or is it a contrivance for the convenience of the TV networks and the rankings to dispense with the indigestible tie game? Yes, I will acknowledge that overtime, by rule, is now part of the college football landscape, and as such we should be better at it than we are. I say that we are being outcoached LEADING UP TO OVERTIME, since if I remember correctly, we have had the lead in all three of these games--we got tied, we didn't do the come-from-behind thing--they others guys did. They took our win away and forced the overtime each time. That is where we are getting bested.
    I can't argue with your reasoning
    Our defense has not performed down the stretch in any of the 3 OT games, although I would have loved for our offense to have tried something unexpected & caught the opponents defense off guard

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,362
    Quote Originally Posted by GA TECH View Post
    I can't argue with your reasoning
    Our defense has not performed down the stretch in any of the 3 OT games, although I would have loved for our offense to have tried something unexpected & caught the opponents defense off guard
    I have no reasoning. We have no defense, for the fifth year running. Our defensive ploy is keeping our offense on the field. And that has begun to wobble for the third year in a row. Hmmmmmm?

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonwreck View Post
    I have no reasoning. We have no defense, for the fifth year running. Our defensive ploy is keeping our offense on the field. And that has begun to wobble for the third year in a row. Hmmmmmm?
    i'd like to think last saturday was a fluke. but, i haven't a clue. we'll find out when we go to clemson what we're made of and who shows up to play.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Tucker, GA
    Posts

    617
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedwall View Post
    i'd like to think last saturday was a fluke. but, i haven't a clue. we'll find out when we go to clemson what we're made of and who shows up to play.
    I'm hoping it was a fluke, but we're in the third year of plain mediocrity. As much as it pains me to say it, I think Mark Bradley's AJC Piece is spot on. CPJ is a head coach, not an offensive coordinator. The fire that we saw from him on the sideline in the '08/'09 season seems to be gone. The brass balls playcalling is gone. If he doesn't have the playmakers necessary, that falls on him. If the D isn't doing it's job, that falls on him.

    He's running out of excuses and I honestly believe his tenure at Tech will depend on how Vad Lee/Justin Thomas and the rest of his recent recruits pan out for him. I like CPJ. I love the option. I don't want to see him go, but I'm a Tech fan first and foremost - he's gonna have to find a way to reverse the trend and win the games that matter most.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    wadley ga
    Posts

    3,584
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedwall View Post
    i can't blame anyone building a fire under coach's seat. and, i'm one of his biggest fans.

    the question is, is it the lack of playmakers alone that is keeping our team from succeeding? or, is it CPJ himself?

    in previous years, i would have said personnel alone. after seeing him not go for it at midfield to salt the game away this past weekend, i think paul johnson has changed as a coach. he is NOT the same coach i watched walk the sidelines of paulson stadium a decade ago. why is anyone's guess. but, if someone had approached him to punt the ball in that same situation in 2000 he'd have told them to go do something physically impossible for most normal people to do!

    he is playing not to lose. and, if he'd done that in statesboro the eagle nation would have run him outta town. it must be that ATL water cause coach just ain't the same.
    Yep he ain't same PJ.He acts like. OC rather than HC.He is safe though big win today and the howls will disappear. until Clemson.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Kennesaw
    Posts

    1,604
    Blog Entries
    2

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    3,404
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedwall View Post
    i can't blame anyone building a fire under coach's seat. and, i'm one of his biggest fans.

    the question is, is it the lack of playmakers alone that is keeping our team from succeeding? or, is it CPJ himself?

    in previous years, i would have said personnel alone. after seeing him not go for it at midfield to salt the game away this past weekend, i think paul johnson has changed as a coach. he is NOT the same coach i watched walk the sidelines of paulson stadium a decade ago. why is anyone's guess. but, if someone had approached him to punt the ball in that same situation in 2000 he'd have told them to go do something physically impossible for most normal people to do!

    he is playing not to lose. and, if he'd done that in statesboro the eagle nation would have run him outta town. it must be that ATL water cause coach just ain't the same.
    Maybe the "change" you see from GSU and early GT years is directly related to the QB he has to gamble on coughing the ball up. We went big against Miami and that certainly got us nowhere. Incidentally, was I the only one puzzled that Washington said he could not check after the first check, and Johnson saying no, Washington misunderstood? Five years in the system and he misunderstands? Early posters about some sort of weirdness in that play from the get-go are right. It just doesn't add up. Maybe we're not carrying a number somewhere.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
    Posts

    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonwreck View Post
    "Out-coached in overtime". This is a debate question: is overtime really football? Or is it a contrivance for the convenience of the TV networks and the rankings to dispense with the indigestible tie game? Yes, I will acknowledge that overtime, by rule, is now part of the college football landscape, and as such we should be better at it than we are. I say that we are being outcoached LEADING UP TO OVERTIME, since if I remember correctly, we have had the lead in all three of these games--we got tied, we didn't do the come-from-behind thing--they others guys did. They took our win away and forced the overtime each time. That is where we are getting bested.
    I agree.....I personally hate the OT, and would rather have a tie on the record. You play four quarters and the game is determined by a couple of series?

    The one common denominator on all three loses is the defense giving up the lead, not the QB not getting it done.

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •