Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

AJC Practice Report 8/22/12

This is a discussion on AJC Practice Report 8/22/12 within the Georgia Tech Football forums, part of the Georgia Tech Sports Message Boards category; Chalk full of good stuff: Days to play ’somewhere’ for Georgia Tech against Hokies | Georgia Tech -Days is getting ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,364

    AJC Practice Report 8/22/12

    Chalk full of good stuff:

    Days to play ’somewhere’ for Georgia Tech against Hokies | Georgia Tech

    -Days is getting on the field...somewhere. Playmakers will always find a way on the field.

    -The new guy from Down Under, Gotsis, has proven the game isn't too big for him at this level. Good to hear...nice to have another body at DT!

    -Ken made a good point: We NEED Bailey to be healthy come game time as he's got TW's blindside. VT has been known to be a pretty good team putting pressure on the QB...

    -TW is still the starter. Shocking.

    -AB will be a revolving door after Orwin and Godhigh.


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    535
    Great news on Gotsis, good to keep that position fresh. Worried a little about the injuries on the O line. Seems like Lanier, a kid with a lot of promise out of high school, is never going to contribute much, too bad.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts

    6,672
    Gotsis:
    the good: he's taken to yankee football. Good on ya, mate!
    the bad: maybe he's really not ready, but CPJ likes to have a little insurance should one of the two main guys goes down. Also, it shows there's no way in hell he's moving his boy, Shaq, over to D.
    the ugly: Green ain't the answer behind TJ???

    Abacks: CPJ has certains plans in mind for the various skill sets of his Abacks. Godhigh, no brainer, blocking. Hill, Zenon, Bostic: who knows - carrying the rock or catching it, probably both. This is good. In the past, CPJ said whichever Aback was standing next to him on the sideline went in. Now he's got plans.

    Days: the dude's a baller. I wonder if ST's means kick returning or cover guy? Maybe both. Me likey!

    TJ: the more I hear, the more I can breathe easy. CPJ: “He’s done well in practice, but we’ll see once we get going game-wise,” Johnson said of Barnes. “I have no reason to doubt him.”

    Vad: nothing on wonder boy?
    Last edited by dressedcheeseside; 08-23-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    "Stars don't mean everything." -Helluva 8/8/13

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts

    6,672
    Just thought I'd pass along a little insider opinion on our D from a parent of one of the D starters:

    Decent depth just gotta keep injuries to a minimum. Excellent off season conditioning. All the guys can be physical supermen but HAVE to master their assignments. No longer high school football mentality. Build the wall like Groh preaches and I .... IMO .... think we will surprise a lot of folks. Gonna be exciting. -2fleetbrd (DD's dad)
    "Stars don't mean everything." -Helluva 8/8/13

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    1,776
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside View Post
    Just thought I'd pass along a little insider opinion on our D from a parent of one of the D starters:
    we have GOT to slow down Vt OFF because our OFF is going to struggle
    possibly-- I think our OFF will do better in the 2nd half while our DEf will get tired and do worse.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    3,008
    Just the fact that Gotsis is not an automatic RS is good news. It confirms that we correctly scouted his potential abilities. I don't expect a lot from him in 2012 but I love the fact that he is in the mix. Watch out for the next three years.

    SD needs to be on the field for one half of our offensive / special teams snaps this year in one capacity or another. I am so glad to hear that he is embracing the challenge of a diversified role on the squad. When he keeps the ball off the turf, he is a very special player.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    4,565
    Quote Originally Posted by alagold View Post
    we have GOT to slow down Vt OFF because our OFF is going to struggle
    possibly-- I think our OFF will do better in the 2nd half while our DEf will get tired and do worse.
    VPI's hurry up will wear our defense down if we can't stop them occasionally and get off the field. A penalty, a busted play, an incompletion every now and then will cause their offense to sputter. We have to take full advantage whenever we get them in unfavorable down and distance situations.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomergump View Post
    Just the fact that Gotsis is not an automatic RS is good news. It confirms that we correctly scouted his potential abilities. I don't expect a lot from him in 2012 but I love the fact that he is in the mix. Watch out for the next three years.
    i think being a 20 year old freshman helps, too. he's got two years of physical maturity over the rest of the true freshmen gang and it oughta show.

    SD needs to be on the field for one half of our offensive / special teams snaps this year in one capacity or another. I am so glad to hear that he is embracing the challenge of a diversified role on the squad. When he keeps the ball off the turf, he is a very special player.
    +1. excited about SD, too. i've said this before--if he's not having to think about being a QB his ball control issues should diminish.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedwall View Post
    i think being a 20 year old freshman helps, too. he's got two years of physical maturity over the rest of the true freshmen gang and it oughta show.



    +1. excited about SD, too. i've said this before--if he's not having to think about being a QB his ball control issues should diminish.
    Being 20 is great, but kids all mature at different rates. One thing is for sure, he is a heck of a lot better now than he was when he was 18 and by the time he is 23 or 24....

    Your point about SD and QB ball control is well taken. Waving the ball around in the backfield making option reads is not for everybody. Hopefully catching and tucking will be a whole lot more natural. That, and knowing when to quit on a play and get on the ground. A heck of a lot of strips happen when the guy is fighting for that last 2" and he is already past (or well behind) the sticks.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    3,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomergump View Post
    Just the fact that Gotsis is not an automatic RS is good news. It confirms that we correctly scouted his potential abilities. I don't expect a lot from him in 2012 but I love the fact that he is in the mix. Watch out for the next three years.

    SD needs to be on the field for one half of our offensive / special teams snaps this year in one capacity or another. I am so glad to hear that he is embracing the challenge of a diversified role on the squad. When he keeps the ball off the turf, he is a very special player.
    Does anyone know just how many times the kid did fumble? I am starting to wonder if we just remember a couple and attribute a bunch to him, though I can't recall them. Maybe this is growing on its own telling.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •