Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

QB article

This is a discussion on QB article within the Georgia Tech Football forums, part of the Georgia Tech Sports Message Boards category; Good article from M.Bradley summing up the post spring situation. Tech's spring game does nothing to alter its quarterback race ...

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    817

    QB article

    Good article from M.Bradley summing up the post spring situation.

    Tech's spring game does nothing to alter its quarterback race | Mark Bradley


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    9,287
    It's always been TW's to lose and he's not going to lose it in practice.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaMGTmjr View Post
    It's always been TW's to lose and he's not going to lose it in practice.
    yep. i think you've stated it best. TW looked like TW last night. nothing flashy. arm strength still where it was. he short-armed a little screen to sims that could have been a nice play. something he did last year to preston one time. no signs of any significant improvement in any part of his game, IMO. his experience gives him the obvious edge over all others. can't hold a candle to vad's arm or pocket presence. if their passing games were women, you'd wanna gnaw your arm off to escape TW but you'd wanna wake up every morning to vad, haha!

    my assessment--with the OL clicking he's not gonna be the reason we lose games. but, if the OL is having a long night, he's not gonna be the playmaker that carries us to victory, either. that leaves us in the same boat we were in last year. then, we need to hope the D and special teams are better than average to take up the slack.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts

    6,672
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedwall View Post
    yep. i think you've stated it best. TW looked like TW last night. nothing flashy. arm strength still where it was. he short-armed a little screen to sims that could have been a nice play. something he did last year to preston one time. no signs of any significant improvement in any part of his game, IMO. his experience gives him the obvious edge over all others. can't hold a candle to vad's arm or pocket presence. if their passing games were women, you'd wanna gnaw your arm off to escape TW but you'd wanna wake up every morning to vad, haha!

    my assessment--with the OL clicking he's not gonna be the reason we lose games. but, if the OL is having a long night, he's not gonna be the playmaker that carries us to victory, either. that leaves us in the same boat we were in last year. then, we need to hope the D and special teams are better than average to take up the slack.
    Let's hope Vad learns the friggin' offense and how to hold onto the damn ball, then.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside View Post
    Let's hope Vad learns the friggin' offense and how to hold onto the damn ball, then.
    after seeing vad last night, cheese, if we're losing i'd rather be frustrated watching him learn to be a QB rather than seeing a 5th yr senior do the same ole, same ole.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    9,287
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedwall View Post
    after seeing vad last night, cheese, if we're losing i'd rather be frustrated watching him learn to be a QB rather than seeing a 5th yr senior do the same ole, same ole.
    There it is!

    But I'm a reasonable guy. Let TW start and see what happens. It's like you said, if the OL is ok and everything goes according to script, TW will run the offense well enough. There is no way CPJ is going to bench the 5th year senior for a RS Fr who is still learning the offense and is still getting the snap down...until he has to. We still have no clue as to how effective Vad is at running the option, but I think that is partially or wholly offset by what else he brings to the table.

    I do feel confident that if we fall behind by a couple scores and need to pass, we will put Vad in, which kind of sucks because it's not a good situation to be thrown into with the pressure and the D knowing you are passing, but sometimes that's just the way it is.

    I am really looking forward to 2013, but we have to get 2012 over with first! (great attitude, I know)
    Last edited by HelluvaMGTmjr; 04-21-2012 at 05:12 PM.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    817
    I think this year we will see TW get benched for either VL or SD if he struggles. And I don't think CPJ will wait for us to get down two TDs before pulling the trigger.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Tucker, GA
    Posts

    650
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedwall View Post
    after seeing vad last night, cheese, if we're losing i'd rather be frustrated watching him learn to be a QB rather than seeing a 5th yr senior do the same ole, same ole.
    +1 We already know what TW is - and more importantly, what TW isn't. Vad gives this offense a dimension that TW can't. I think TW should and will start - at least early on - but it's only a matter of time now. Considering that Vad is a RS-Fr, he's already light-years ahead of where I thought he'd be. If he's able to iron out a few wrinkles, he'll be starting before the end of the year and I think the team will be better off for it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Tucker, GA
    Posts

    650
    Quote Originally Posted by a-son-sir View Post
    I think this year we will see TW get benched for either VL or SD if he struggles. And I don't think CPJ will wait for us to get down two TDs before pulling the trigger.
    I think you're right. As we saw in the UGA game, CPJ's patience wore away last year. This season he's got two kids that are just chomping at the bit in SD and VL. My guess is that CPJ pulls the trigger pretty early. I hope TW knows that and does everything he can to improve his game - specifically his passing - so that the end result is better QB play. I don't want to see SD or VL get in there and be equally bad...but I don't think that'd be the case

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by gtpharmd View Post
    +1 We already know what TW is - and more importantly, what TW isn't. Vad gives this offense a dimension that TW can't. I think TW should and will start - at least early on - but it's only a matter of time now. Considering that Vad is a RS-Fr, he's already light-years ahead of where I thought he'd be. If he's able to iron out a few wrinkles, he'll be starting before the end of the year and I think the team will be better off for it.
    You may be right. As far as running the base offense is concerned, I imagine that he is only a certain number of reps away from being good enough. I know he took a lot of reps with the first team in practice last year. It probably won't be that long before it clicks. I mean, if a kid can read defenses well enough to throw effectively, he has to be able to make give/keep and keep/pitch decisions quickly and accurately enough, right?

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •