Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 53

Johnson's Overall Record at Tech

This is a discussion on Johnson's Overall Record at Tech within the Georgia Tech Football forums, part of the Georgia Tech Sports Message Boards category; Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside If the jury is out, as you say, we can't make generalizations at this point. If ...

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    9,117
    Quote Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside View Post
    If the jury is out, as you say, we can't make generalizations at this point. If the jury is out, it is only fair to wait and see what happens when the jury is in. That's all I'm saying. As I've said before, this season and moreso next, will decide it for me.
    So touting his record may be premature, hence my reason for responding. I'm not focusing on just the last 2 years, I'm just putting the first 2 in perspective, which is pretty much the only thing we have to brag about.

    Yes, the next year or two will tell us all, but I think we could go 7-5 and most of you would find excuses. Hopefully we won't find out!


  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts

    6,671
    Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaMGTmjr View Post
    So touting his record may be premature, hence my reason for responding. I'm not focusing on just the last 2 years, I'm just putting the first 2 in perspective, which is pretty much the only thing we have to brag about.

    Yes, the next year or two will tell us all, but I think we could go 7-5 and most of you would find excuses. Hopefully we won't find out!
    Unless we are devistated by injuries, I won't have much to say other than we're still not quite there yet experience/maturitywise. I think we have most of the pieces in the pipe now we just need a little more seasoning.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Augusta, GA
    Posts

    409
    Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaMGTmjr View Post
    So touting his record may be premature, hence my reason for responding. I'm not focusing on just the last 2 years, I'm just putting the first 2 in perspective, which is pretty much the only thing we have to brag about.

    Yes, the next year or two will tell us all, but I think we could go 7-5 and most of you would find excuses. Hopefully we won't find out!
    Yes hopefully it won't come to that but I would agree that if we continue to go 7-6, 8-5, 6-7 over the next two years then we might think about making a change. However I am more optimistic and think that we could win 9 to 10 wins consistently over the next 3 to 4 years.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    9,117
    I just hate that I have to wait another year to really get excited. This year could be great, but I'm hesitant to expect too much. Point being, regardless of how we do this year, I'm expecting to do better in 2013 and much better in 2014 and beyond...meaning a run of 9 and 10 win seasons and some ACC CG appearances...and hopefully beating UGA a few times.
    Last edited by HelluvaMGTmjr; 04-19-2012 at 04:37 PM.

  5. #45
    Junior Member
    Join Date

    Oct 2011
    Location

    Covington, GA
    Posts

    8

    Bad Choices

    I used to drink the CPJ koolade but three seemingly minor details make me lose my koolade :

    1. Why was special teams such a disaster THE WHOLE YEAR?
    2. Why would you mainly use Hill at 65 and fastest at the NFL Combine as a downfield blocker? (Yes, he had a few drops, but only because he probably wasn't used to game speed receptions)
    3. Jemea Thomas was certainly best defensive player. Why wasn't he a starter?

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Atlanta
    Posts

    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaMGTmjr View Post
    1-10 in the beefy half of the last 2 years, excluding Duke and MTSU.
    PJ going 1-10 is a lot different from most coaches going 1-10. How many of those games were blowouts where we had absolutely no fighting chance? Maybe 2? Both times against Miami?

    Nearly every one of PJ's losses are nailbiters. That's why we like him; we feel like he gives us a good chance to win. Not to say I enjoy seeing PJ lose a close game, but it's hard to fault him when our losses come down so close.

    We can sense it as fans, that we were maybe 1 or 2 plays away from being 10-3 last year. We know how close we are to being perennially great. It's just a matter of getting over the hump.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date

    Dec 2011
    Posts

    707
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdropc View Post
    I used to drink the CPJ koolade but three seemingly minor details make me lose my koolade :

    1. Why was special teams such a disaster THE WHOLE YEAR?
    2. Why would you mainly use Hill at 6’5 and fastest at the NFL Combine as a downfield blocker? (Yes, he had a few drops, but only because he probably wasn't used to game speed receptions)
    3. Jemea Thomas was certainly best defensive player. Why wasn't he a starter?
    Glad you're such an expert on all things football. I disagree J Thomas is the best defensive player. Disclaimer: I really really like J Thomas. He's one of my favorite players on D. He tended to blow assignments in coverage from time to time resulting in huge plays / scores. I attribute some of that to youth / inexperience. That being said, I look forward to him rising to the top as he matures as a player.

  8. #48
    Administrator
    Join Date

    Jul 2011
    Posts

    3,016
    Blog Entries
    5
    Paul Johnson is a good enough football coach that he's not going to ever lose a coaching job by "knockout". If he does ever get fired at Georgia Tech or anywhere else it will be by an accumulation of punches.

    An accumulation of punches in the college football game usually means that over a period of time a fan base gets tired of a coach for various reasons which of course includes not winning enough and not generating enough excitement.

    Football is mainly entertainment and at this point in time the only entertainment value Paul Johnson has is winning. There's little other entertainment value in his team or in the way he projects himself and his program.

    Looking at the 17,000 season tickets sold up until last week certainly indicates that the electorate is far from enthralled with Paul Johnson football.

    The media and Paul Johnson's relationship are roach and roach killer. Not a good situation for a college football program that desperately needs to expand it's fan base.

    For some reason I can't get excited to argue either way on Paul Johnson. I don't dislike him as Georgia Tech's coach and have no problem with him personally. But I'm not excited, either..

    Just my two cents..

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    north avenue
    Posts

    254
    I'm drinking the koolade, it takes time to start over with a program and build it up. I know 5 years should be long enough but he has won some big games as well lost some too. I like the offense it's different and gives us a better than average change to win. I know the D and special teams have been subpar but he did make a change (maybe alittle slow in doing so),so lets hope they work. I love the way he handles the press and don't kiss there butts ,that's better than kissing there butts and saying what they want to here. He is a proven winner and he will win alot at Tech. I will be surprised if we don't win 10 games this year, but thats just me.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts

    6,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hart View Post
    Paul Johnson is a good enough football coach that he's not going to ever lose a coaching job by "knockout". If he does ever get fired at Georgia Tech or anywhere else it will be by an accumulation of punches.

    An accumulation of punches in the college football game usually means that over a period of time a fan base gets tired of a coach for various reasons which of course includes not winning enough and not generating enough excitement.

    Football is mainly entertainment and at this point in time the only entertainment value Paul Johnson has is winning. There's little other entertainment value in his team or in the way he projects himself and his program.

    Looking at the 17,000 season tickets sold up until last week certainly indicates that the electorate is far from enthralled with Paul Johnson football.

    The media and Paul Johnson's relationship are roach and roach killer. Not a good situation for a college football program that desperately needs to expand it's fan base.

    For some reason I can't get excited to argue either way on Paul Johnson. I don't dislike him as Georgia Tech's coach and have no problem with him personally. But I'm not excited, either..

    Just my two cents..
    Closed practices still eatin' ya?

 

 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •