Results 1 to 9 of 9

file under "you're kidding, right?"--saban schools OL commit on "commitment"

This is a discussion on file under "you're kidding, right?"--saban schools OL commit on "commitment" within the Georgia Tech Football forums, part of the Georgia Tech Sports Message Boards category; ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    5,336

    file under "you're kidding, right?"--saban schools OL commit on "commitment"

    gotta scratch your head at this quote from andy dodd, a friggin' huge OL we actually offered, but has committed to bama. when asked about saban's response to his commit, his quote . . .

    “He liked it,” Dodd said. “Coach Saban talked to me about what commitment means, and explained how committing to them meant that my recruiting was over. Coach Saban wanted to make sure I understood what I was doing. I did, and I’m happy with making the decision.”

    WTF??? obviously, andy's been living under a rock if he thinks nick saban is even remotely familiar with the word commitment!

    Georgia OL commits to Alabama over LSU, Georgia Tech and South Carolina | AJC College Sports Recruiting
    Last edited by stonedwall; 03-27-2012 at 10:08 AM.


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts

    6,673
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedwall View Post
    gotta scratch your head at this quote from andy dodd, a friggin' huge OL we actually offered, but has committed to bama. when asked about saban's response to his commit, his quote . . .

    “He liked it,” Dodd said. “Coach Saban talked to me about what commitment means, and explained how committing to them meant that my recruiting was over. Coach Saban wanted to make sure I understood what I was doing. I did, and I’m happy with making the decision.”

    WTF??? obviously, andy's been living under a rock if he thinks nick saban is even remotely familiar with the word commitment!

    Georgia OL commits to Alabama over LSU, Georgia Tech and South Carolina | AJC College Sports Recruiting
    I also saw where Saben told him he thought he could help out right away.

    "They believe I have a chance to come in and make an impact."
    What a load of crap to play on the kid's ego. Unless, of course, he meant helping the defensive starters get ready by being a live blocking sled for a year on the scout team.

    Apparently we were in his top 3 with Bama and LSU. From an interview prior to his 'commitment':

    "My top three in no particular order is Alabama, LSU, and Georgia Tech."
    Strange bedfellows to say the least? I don't lose too much sleep when we lose one to the red elephants.
    Last edited by dressedcheeseside; 03-27-2012 at 10:23 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside View Post
    Strange bedfellows to say the least? I don't lose too much sleep when we lose one to the red elephants.
    same here. this is a kid we had to offer cause he's a helluvan athlete and just up the road from ATL. 325 lbs starting center on the varsity basketball team? you know he's gotta have some feet. it'd be negligence not to extend an offer but i doubt anyone was holding their breath.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts

    6,673
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedwall View Post
    "helluvan"
    Sorry, thought this was a funny word. I picture Helluva driving around in (and sleeping in) an old 1960's beat up VW bus with flower stickers all over it.

    Like this but much more beat up looking:


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts

    6,673
    Ok, here it is:


  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    3,404
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedwall View Post
    gotta scratch your head at this quote from andy dodd, a friggin' huge OL we actually offered, but has committed to bama. when asked about saban's response to his commit, his quote . . .

    “He liked it,” Dodd said. “Coach Saban talked to me about what commitment means, and explained how committing to them meant that my recruiting was over. Coach Saban wanted to make sure I understood what I was doing. I did, and I’m happy with making the decision.”

    WTF??? obviously, andy's been living under a rock if he thinks nick saban is even remotely familiar with the word commitment!

    Georgia OL commits to Alabama over LSU, Georgia Tech and South Carolina | AJC College Sports Recruiting
    Let's not condemn too hastily. We got one Justin Thomas out of it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Posts

    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    Let's not condemn too hastily. We got one Justin Thomas out of it.
    i don't think you have to worry about dodd showing up at our doorstep with hat in hand. he never had a serious interest in going to tech.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date

    Aug 2011
    Location

    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts

    6,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    Let's not condemn too hastily. We got one Justin Thomas out of it.
    I think JT is one of those rare, stars aligning, perfect storm, Haly's comet scenarios. Don't expect it with any regularity. Most hs kids are so enamored with Bama and Saben they'd kill for an offer and be happy to carry ol' Nick's jock on the sidelines just to be part of the team and tell all their buddies "I play for Bammer." Infact, I think ol' Nick counts on this and was probably a little taken aback when JT said "hell no, that ain't what I signed up for" (so to speak).

    The Tomlinson case is the norm. A guy who could have been "the guy" at GT and will probably settle for being one of the guys down the bench at Bammer.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    3,404
    Quote Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside View Post
    I think JT is one of those rare, stars aligning, perfect storm, Haly's comet scenarios. Don't expect it with any regularity. Most hs kids are so enamored with Bama and Saben they'd kill for an offer and be happy to carry ol' Nick's jock on the sidelines just to be part of the team and tell all their buddies "I play for Bammer." Infact, I think ol' Nick counts on this and was probably a little taken aback when JT said "hell no, that ain't what I signed up for" (so to speak).

    The Tomlinson case is the norm. A guy who could have been "the guy" at GT and will probably settle for being one of the guys down the bench at Bammer.
    Maybe it points to the competitive aspect: would you prefer to be an also-ran benchwarmer on a national championship team, or a every down, every Saturday player elsewhere? The competitors I knew would always pick the every down player, a chance to compete. But if the kid is confident he can compete at Alabama, well, okay. We will see.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •