• Paul Johnson's QB Dilemna

    You have a starting a QB who is really struggling with your base offense. The excuses are starting to wear thin. Vad saw extensive playing time last year and has played 9 games this year, so the experience excuse is running out of steam.
    Ideally you may be better off going to more of a run and shoot, but the o-line can't pass block and Coach Johnson is not totally comfortable with that.

    The other option is going with Justin Thomas. Thomas is clearly the better option QB. Johnson isn't Gailey stubborn when it comes to QB's. He will pull a struggling QB.

    So why is he is sticking with Vad? I think there may be a couple of reasons. Thomas has telegraphed some of his passes. Also, it may be the physical difference. Vad is a solid 6-2 over 200 pounds. Thomas is generously listed at 5'11 and I doubt weighs more than 180 pounds.

    The problem going forward is that the defense is not going to hold UGA and Clemson to 10 points. We'll need to score more against two defenses that have looked shaky this year. Right now, I have my doubts if Vad can put up those kind of points. If we don't, we limp home 7-5 with a 5-5 record against FBS teams.
    Comments 52 Comments
    1. Animal's Avatar
      Animal -
      Quote Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside View Post
      I'm really curious where we'd be right now with Tevin at qb this year. His superior option reading, game management and ball security would have been more beneficial to the team than Vad's superior athleticism. In fact, when have we benefited from Vad's superior athleticism and stronger arm this year? A handful of times? When have been screwed by his inferior everything else? A lot.

      Oh and don't give me the poor OL play because it's the very same crew we had last year only a year more experienced. Unless, of course, you admit injuries matter but most of you have dismissed that reason already.
      I wish we could have seen this defense play with the Tevin O of last year.
    1. dressedcheeseside's Avatar
      dressedcheeseside -
      Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
      I wish we could have seen this defense play with the Tevin O of last year.
      I'm starting a new thread to discuss the Tevin hypothetical.
    1. HelluvaMGTmjr's Avatar
      HelluvaMGTmjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
      It is rather comical that after all the "start Vad not Tevin" crap last year, they are so ready to throw Vad under the bus for yet another "not ready for prime time player"
      Not me! I see the talent, it's just not being tapped or fully realized but it's there and I firmly believe he's got more of it than any QB we've had here going back Goose. I'm most dissapointed is his running though. I don't get it. He looked so good running last year, he's lost something...that killer instinct. He's become timid, even before the big hit which was only so bad because he ran weak.
    1. Jim Hart's Avatar
      Jim Hart -
      Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaMGTmjr View Post
      Not me! I see the talent, it's just not being tapped or fully realized but it's there and I firmly believe he's got more of it than any QB we've had here going back Goose. I'm most dissapointed is his running though. I don't get it. He looked so good running last year, he's lost something...that killer instinct. He's become timid, even before the big hit which was only so bad because he ran weak.
      QBs get beat up running this offense. It takes away their speed and quickness. Last year Vad did spot duty so he didn't take the big shots when the LBs and DLs were fresh. He'd come in the second and late third/fourth when the defense was softened up and tired.

      We learn something new every year about this offense and it isn't all good.
    1. HelluvaMGTmjr's Avatar
      HelluvaMGTmjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hart View Post
      QBs get beat up running this offense. It takes away their speed and quickness. Last year Vad did spot duty so he didn't take the big shots when the LBs and DLs were fresh. He'd come in the second and late third/fourth when the defense was softened up and tired.

      We learn something new every year about this offense and it isn't all good.
      I will say as I did last year that I don't think Vad has the ideal build for QB in this offense and I can see him getting injured. But then again, neither did TW. But Vad just seems to carry himself differently.
    1. dressedcheeseside's Avatar
      dressedcheeseside -
      Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaMGTmjr View Post
      I will say as I did last year that I don't think Vad has the ideal build for QB in this offense and I can see him getting injured. But then again, neither did TW. But Vad just seems to carry himself differently.
      Tevin was better at ducking hits. At the end of runs he was better at avoiding direct contact.
    1. alagold's Avatar
      alagold -
      Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaMGTmjr View Post
      I will say as I did last year that I don't think Vad has the ideal build for QB in this offense and I can see him getting injured. But then again, neither did TW. But Vad just seems to carry himself differently.
      I'm not sure of WRONG build.He just doesn't have quick feet .he is a strider. he needs room to accelerate,much like the San Fran QB.
      Also he does not know how to "sneak" like Tevin.I said this last yr.Getting those 1-2 ys for 1st down gets iffy with Vad.
    1. Boomergump's Avatar
      Boomergump -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hart View Post
      QBs get beat up running this offense. It takes away their speed and quickness. Last year Vad did spot duty so he didn't take the big shots when the LBs and DLs were fresh. He'd come in the second and late third/fourth when the defense was softened up and tired.

      We learn something new every year about this offense and it isn't all good.
      Ricky Dobbs, Kaipo Noa (not gonna try his entire name),and Tevin Washington all seemed pretty quick and fresh at the end of seasons. I'm not saying it isn't a tough position to play, I just don't think it is a given that it will slow you down or wear you thin.
    1. Ga Tech Navy Nuke's Avatar
      Ga Tech Navy Nuke -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hart View Post
      QBs get beat up running this offense. It takes away their speed and quickness. Last year Vad did spot duty so he didn't take the big shots when the LBs and DLs were fresh. He'd come in the second and late third/fourth when the defense was softened up and tired.

      We learn something new every year about this offense and it isn't all good.
      This is exactly why I keep saying we should start one QB (Vad.) and then have another come in after three or so series. See who is doing the best that day AND lessen the cumulative hits / fatigue on the QB. This running stuff is tough on a QB unless he is a JN (who got really tired) or a Logan Thomas / Manzel monster.
    1. HelluvaMGTmjr's Avatar
      HelluvaMGTmjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by alagold View Post
      I'm not sure of WRONG build.He just doesn't have quick feet .he is a strider. he needs room to accelerate,much like the San Fran QB.
      Also he does not know how to "sneak" like Tevin.I said this last yr.Getting those 1-2 ys for 1st down gets iffy with Vad.
      Those are better attributes for a Pistol or Shotgun formation. Just don't think the compact nature if the flexbone and E-W flow of it is best suited for Vad. JT would be ideal if he was just a bit taller and bigger. His quickness is great.
    1. GT Man's Avatar
      GT Man -
      Quote Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside View Post
      Tevin was better at ducking hits. At the end of runs he was better at avoiding direct contact.
      I think that was his experience showing.
    1. Animal's Avatar
      Animal -
      Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaMGTmjr View Post
      Not me! I see the talent, it's just not being tapped or fully realized but it's there and I firmly believe he's got more of it than any QB we've had here going back Goose. I'm most dissapointed is his running though. I don't get it. He looked so good running last year, he's lost something...that killer instinct. He's become timid, even before the big hit which was only so bad because he ran weak.
      It is not so much about being timid to me, it is more the indecision.