• Where do You Rank the UNC Win?

    Georgia Tech football defenseAfter having a little time to reflect, I believe this is one of my most satisfying wins in the CPJ era. I guess it is because it was so hard fought and that we were in deep trouble from the get go.

    Think about it. How many games have our beloved Jackets pulled out of the fire in the last few years? There really are none in recent memory. Over the course of the last few years, for reasons beaten to death on this board, GT has been a team that handed games back to opponents instead of wrestling them away. It seems we only won games where we could coast at the end. I applaud our kids and I hope that this is a sign of a culture shift for years to come.

    IMHO this win takes second place, behind UGAg 2008, for most satisfying in Johnson's tenure. It has been a long time since we have done this; won a game that maybe we shouldn't have, where we faced extreme adversity and came through in the end. Even after taking the lead, there were a couple of opportunities to give it back, as had become customary.

    A close third would be the win against Virginia Tech in 2009 that got us over the hump and into the ACC title hunt.
    Comments 12 Comments
    1. InsideLB's Avatar
      InsideLB -
      Agree game was notable for comeback and for winning With our B game . Wanna see What can happen When it all Clicks '
    1. L. Biviano's Avatar
      L. Biviano -
      Quote Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside View Post
      The '08 Uga game.
      The '11 Clemson game.
      The '09 Miami game.
      Both '09 Clemson games.
      The '12 USCw game.
      The '13 UNC game.



      The 5 games in the middle didn't have a bunch of adversity, but they were satisfying as hell.
      I think you mean "The '08 Miami game." We lost to them in 2009 in Miami. I remember, I was there, unfortunately.
    1. Lexjacket's Avatar
      Lexjacket -
      Quote Originally Posted by Boomergump View Post
      Oh, we have beaten better teams in bigger games. I concur, but for me, a come from behind win after being in deep trouble like that makes it even better. We beat a highly ranked Clemson team 2 years ago and we dominated from the second possession onward. Surely we played a better game that day than last Saturday. That is not up for debate. We were never really in danger of losing the Clemson game. It wasn't a character win. The UNC game was. We have played prettier and we have won by wider margins against better teams, but this one took more heart. You can tell a lot more about a player when things aren't going his way, the same can be said for teams. Everybody is great when things are going well.

      Games like Saturday, in my mind, are a greater predictor of success than one sided wins. Every highly successful team has to win some tough ones to have a great season. There will always be a handful of well played lopsided wins for most decent to good teams. The difference makers are like the UNC game. Look how important the VT, UM, and MTSU losses were, in terms of our outlook about the program last year. Those three games were difference makers that greatly shaped our views. Each of those was just like the UNC game 3 days ago, except for one important detail. If we had finished those games and won ugly, the entire nation (including us) would look at our program differently today.
      Amen +1
    1. mack's Avatar
      mack -
      Well a win is a win and they are all good but sort of have the feeling that NC aint a class team yet........this will hurt them and we didnt play worth a flip for about three quarters..Good to see a comeback since in the past ..........we are the ones who lose the lead.
    1. alagold's Avatar
      alagold -
      We almost LUCKED into this win.This could have easily gone to unc.Sims didn't score at goal,the break on the penalty on the punter run,our recovering 2 fumbles of ours,the TD pass negated by penalty.
      Not a great win but a win.
    1. Boomergump's Avatar
      Boomergump -
      Quote Originally Posted by alagold View Post
      We almost LUCKED into this win.This could have easily gone to unc.Sims didn't score at goal,the break on the penalty on the punter run,our recovering 2 fumbles of ours,the TD pass negated by penalty.
      Not a great win but a win.
      We were fortunate, no doubt. Just like every game, however, you have to earn it. For all the "bottom line people", we got it done. FWIW, I thought Sims did break the plane. Remember, the tip of the ball just has to touch the field side of the line. I am pretty sure that happened. He didn't deserve it necessarily, but he got it. I also felt that Ebron fumbled the ball and it was not an incompletion. We didn't get that break. As far as recovering the fumbles, I am really glad CPJ is a stickler for chasing the play. When Beno fell on RG's fumble, that was just pure hustle. He could have very easily just been a spectator once the play broke to the secondary, but he kept running. Chamberlain played a crappy game but at least he was alert and finished the play when Vad put it on the ground. Good for him.

      I can remember going round and round with Helluva talking about luck and bounces playing a part in a team's record. He would have no part of it. Like you say, the UNC game could have gone either way. What I like especially is that we fought the entire time and never quit regardless of everything. GT had 100 reasons to quit before the first half was even over, and we didn't.
    1. alagold's Avatar
      alagold -
      Quote Originally Posted by Boomergump View Post
      We were fortunate, no doubt. Just like every game, however, you have to earn it. For all the "bottom line people", we got it done. FWIW, I thought Sims did break the plane. Remember, the tip of the ball just has to touch the field side of the line. I am pretty sure that happened. He didn't deserve it necessarily, but he got it. I also felt that Ebron fumbled the ball and it was not an incompletion. We didn't get that break. As far as recovering the fumbles, I am really glad CPJ is a stickler for chasing the play. When Beno fell on RG's fumble, that was just pure hustle. He could have very easily just been a spectator once the play broke to the secondary, but he kept running. Chamberlain played a crappy game but at least he was alert and finished the play when Vad put it on the ground. Good for him.

      I can remember going round and round with Helluva talking about luck and bounces playing a part in a team's record. He would have no part of it. Like you say, the UNC game could have gone either way. What I like especially is that we fought the entire time and never quit regardless of everything. GT had 100 reasons to quit before the first half was even over, and we didn't.
      yep,the first half stunk,that was HOME win,away would have lost
      next yr up there prob different,their whole OFF returns ex for Renner
    1. Jim Hart's Avatar
      Jim Hart -
      I rank the UNC win slightly above a gin hangover and not as good as a fart. Lets beat some good teams on the road. Home wins against mediocre ACC teams shouldn't move our needle.
    1. gtce79's Avatar
      gtce79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hart View Post
      I rank the UNC win slightly above a gin hangover and not as good as a fart. Lets beat some good teams on the road. Home wins against mediocre teams shouldn't move our needle.
      get with the program, Jim! This is GT! We ain't got no stinking analog needle; we're pure digital!!
    1. Jim Hart's Avatar
      Jim Hart -
      Quote Originally Posted by gtce79 View Post
      get with the program, Jim! This is GT! We ain't got no stinking analog needle; we're pure digital!!
      LOL, you are right!

      Okay, so how should I re-word the phrase, then?? Instead of saying "move our needle", should I say, "move our digital?"
    1. gtce79's Avatar
      gtce79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hart View Post
      LOL, you are right!

      Okay, so how should I re-word the phrase, then?? Instead of saying "move our needle", should I say, "move our digital?"
      Maybe "doesn't flip the digits?" I don't know but it makes me wonder what rectal exams were like before they went "digital".
    1. Jim Hart's Avatar
      Jim Hart -
      Quote Originally Posted by gtce79 View Post
      Maybe "doesn't flip the digits?" I don't know but it makes me wonder what rectal exams were like before they went "digital".
      You are on a roll, gtce! I like the "doesn't flip the digits"... but won't touch the recal exams...