• Notre Dame Becomes New ACC Member

    Notre Dame has been accepted into the Atlantic Coast Conference as a new member in a unanimous vote. The Fighting Irish will compete in all conference sports except for football.

    However, Notre Dame will play five games each year against ACC opponents.

    "We are committed to keeping the Atlantic Coast Conference a vibrant and competitive league dedicated to ensuring the appropriate balance of academics, athletics and integrity," said the ACC Council of Presidents in a joint statement. "The addition of Notre Dame further strengthens the rich tradition and culture of the ACC as well as allowing for future academic collaboration and we enthusiastically welcome them into the league."

    "The ACC was founded on the cornerstones of balancing academics, athletics and integrity," said Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford. "Our partnership with Notre Dame only strengthens this long-standing commitment. Notre Dame enhances the league's unique blend of public and private institutions that are international in scope. The collective alumni and fan bases cover the entire country with exceptionally strong roots up and down the Atlantic Coast. This is a terrific milestone in the evolution of the ACC and showcases tremendous solidarity and vision by our Council of Presidents."

    "The ACC is composed of some of the most highly respected universities in the country, and we at Notre Dame look forward to joining them," said Notre Dame President, Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C. "With a mix of institutions - many of which are also private, similar to Notre Dame in size, and committed to excellence in research and undergraduate education - the ACC is an exceptionally good fit for us academically, as well as athletically."

    "We have monitored the changing conference landscape for many months and have concluded that moving to the ACC is the best course of action for us," said Jack Swarbrick, Notre Dame Vice President and Director of Athletics. "We are able to maintain our historic independence in football, join in the ACC's non-BCS bowl package, and provide a new and extremely competitive home for our other sports."

    With the addition of Notre Dame, the ACC's future membership includes 11 institutions ranked among the top 58 in the 2013 U.S. News & World Report survey of "America's Best Colleges", more than any other conference also competing at the highest level athletically.
    Comments 58 Comments
    1. Wildcat86's Avatar
      Wildcat86 -
      Everyone is raiding the Big East! What is going on?
    1. AllGT's Avatar
      AllGT -
      When Notre Dame played at BDS in 2006, it was one of the best game atmospheres I've been a part of. Too bad we lost.

      I'd like to see how they structure the income shares before I comment. If they get a full share for just 5 football games, then I don't think too many ACC schools should be happy with that. ND is great name, but giving a school a full share for being a part time member in the most important sport is admitting they are bigger than the ACC.
    1. stonedwall's Avatar
      stonedwall -
      Quote Originally Posted by AllGT View Post
      ND is great name, but giving a school a full share for being a part time member in the most important sport is admitting they are bigger than the ACC.
      wouldn't shock me if the ACC is grabbing their ankles on this one, AllGT. guess we'll find out.
    1. Lee Reeves's Avatar
      Lee Reeves -
      GT won't ever get to be one of those 5 teams anyway because we play Clemson every year and UGA every year, the only way we'll get to play them is if they join all the way.
    1. AllGT's Avatar
      AllGT -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reeves View Post
      GT won't ever get to be one of those 5 teams anyway because we play Clemson every year and UGA every year, the only way we'll get to play them is if they join all the way.
      Each ACC team is guaranteed to play ND once every 3 years.

      ND will beg to play us as much as possible because they raid Georgia for recruits every year.
    1. stonedwall's Avatar
      stonedwall -
      Quote Originally Posted by allgt View Post
      nd will beg to play us as much as possible because they raid our recruits every year.
      fify!
    1. Jim Hart's Avatar
      Jim Hart -
      Quote Originally Posted by AllGT View Post
      Each ACC team is guaranteed to play ND once every 3 years.

      ND will beg to play us as much as possible because they raid Georgia for recruits every year.
      No way Paul Johnson will agree to play Notre and Georgia in the same year.
    1. Ugahater715's Avatar
      Ugahater715 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hart View Post
      No way Paul Johnson will agree to play Notre and Georgia in the same year.
      If they set it up on a rotational basis he won't have a choice in the matter.
    1. AllGT's Avatar
      AllGT -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hart View Post
      No way Paul Johnson will agree to play Notre and Georgia in the same year.
      Well, seeing as how we play UGA every year, and each ACC team has to play ND once every three years...seems like that will be the case once every three years.

      On a positive note, Radakovich needs to step up and say we want ND at home on even years to balance out our home schedule, or move Clemson or VT to even years at home.
    1. Animal's Avatar
      Animal -
      Quote Originally Posted by AllGT View Post
      When Notre Dame played at BDS in 2006, it was one of the best game atmospheres I've been a part of. Too bad we lost.
      .
      It was a great atmosphere at Notre Dame's stadium in 2007......well for the few thousand of us Tech fans
    1. Curious's Avatar
      Curious -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hart View Post
      No way Paul Johnson will agree to play Notre and Georgia in the same year.
      WEll, why not? What has ND done in the last decade to throw the fear of god into us? (Or the fear of Touchdown Jesus? And if GT can make money on the road, and pack the joint at home, I suspect the AD will be pushing those buttons.)
    1. PatrickinGa's Avatar
      PatrickinGa -
      ND is NOT an ACC school, football wise. Text taxen from the press release reads:

      "The Fighting Irish will compete in all conference sports except for football."

      So talk about playing them in football may be a moot point.

      Maybe they make too much $$ playing their current schedule to take a financial loss to play ACC teams.
    1. Animal's Avatar
      Animal -
      Wonder how it will all work if the ACC adds a 16th team..................
    1. AllGT's Avatar
      AllGT -
      Quote Originally Posted by PatrickinGa View Post
      ND is NOT an ACC school, football wise. Text taxen from the press release reads:

      "The Fighting Irish will compete in all conference sports except for football."

      So talk about playing them in football may be a moot point.

      Maybe they make too much $$ playing their current schedule to take a financial loss to play ACC teams.
      They are not a football member (whatever the heck that means), but they do play 5 ACC teams each year once they join. Each ACC team is guaranteed 1 game with ND every three years.

      Notre Dame joining ACC as non-football member - NCAA Football - SI.com

      Notre Dame has announced that all sports but football and hockey are leaving the Big East for the ACC, a move that will require the Irish to play five football games against ACC opponents each season.
      The real question is whether ND gets full conference share AND keep all of their NBC money. That would be a huge advantage for them, and I'm sure more than one ACC school would be upset with that.
    1. AllGT's Avatar
      AllGT -
      Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
      It was a great atmosphere at Notre Dame's stadium in 2007......well for the few thousand of us Tech fans
      Tenuta's defense was dialed in that game.
    1. Csrajacket's Avatar
      Csrajacket -
      Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
      Wonder how it will all work if the ACC adds a 16th team..................

      Samething i was thinking, basically will still need 2 more teams to get to 16 teams for football, but on the other hand only 1 team for all other sports....
      Notre Dame made this deal ....the ACC is just kissing butt and saving face!!!
    1. HelluvaMGTmjr's Avatar
      HelluvaMGTmjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by AllGT View Post
      They are not a football member (whatever the heck that means), but they do play 5 ACC teams each year once they join. Each ACC team is guaranteed 1 game with ND every three years.

      Notre Dame joining ACC as non-football member - NCAA Football - SI.com



      The real question is whether ND gets full conference share AND keep all of their NBC money. That would be a huge advantage for them, and I'm sure more than one ACC school would be upset with that.
      I'm sure they will get to keep it all. They aren't joining the ACC as far as football goes and isn't the deal with NBC pretty much all football?
    1. Lee Reeves's Avatar
      Lee Reeves -
      If the ACC would get another solid team for number 16 like Louisville and the ACC would only play 7 ACC games in a season, Notre Dame could still play their rivals and play the ACC schedule.
    1. Old Gold's Avatar
      Old Gold -
      Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
      It was a great atmosphere at Notre Dame's stadium in 2007......well for the few thousand of us Tech fans

      Amen, brother - absolutely perfect. One of a handful of games in my long life that I'll never forget. One thing I've noticed, from two visits up there - one a loss, one a win - in either case, their fans were terrific hosts, before and after the game. Oddly, when they visit Grant Field, it's been my observation that they're not so polite and not such good sports. Maybe that's not unique to them.

      I'm betting - and hoping - that the 2014 changes in the National Championship playoff structure, coupled with their NBC contract expiration, will lead to their becoming a full member with respect to football.

      Great day for the ACC.
    1. awbuzz's Avatar
      awbuzz -
      Quote Originally Posted by AllGT View Post
      Well, seeing as how we play UGA every year, and each ACC team has to play ND once every three years...seems like that will be the case once every three years.

      On a positive note, Radakovich needs to step up and say we want ND at home on even years to balance out our home schedule, or move Clemson or VT to even years at home.
      EXCELLENT point about getting the schedule "balanced".