• College Football Approves Four Team Division 1 Playoff

    There will be a four team playoff in Division 1 college football beginning with the 2012 season.

    FBA Executive Director Wright Waters issued this statement:

    "The Football Bowl Association wishes to congratulate the BCS Commissioners and Oversight Committee on their careful deliberations concerning the future of the college football postseason.


    The 35 bowls located in 28 communities and staffed by thousands of community volunteers look forward to working with the commissioners to insure the continued growth of the sport we all admire. The bowls provide a unique postseason experience for student-athletes, fans, coaches and the American public.

    Today is the beginning of an exciting time in the future of college football and we are committed to continuing the rich tradition of the bowls."
    Comments 6 Comments
    1. Yukonwreck's Avatar
      Yukonwreck -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hart View Post
      There will be a four team playoff in Division 1 college football beginning with the 2012 season.

      FBA Executive Director Wright Waters issued this statement:


      Read more at Georgia Tech Sports News - College Football Approves Four Team Playoff
      They will add two bowls to the semi-finals rotation. Is there any hint as to which two will be added to the Rose, Orange, Sugar, and Fiesta? Just on history/tradition the Cotton and Gator should be on the inside track, but I could see the Orlando bowls, maybe the Outback, maybe the Chick-fil-A b/c of Atlanta and the Georgia Dome. Anything in the northeast or midwest would probably have to be in a dome to be considered. Any guesses? I say the Captial One Bowl because of Whorelando and Cotton Bowl if it's in Jerry Jones Stadium. And if you already had the semi-final game, I suppose that precludes you from bidding on the championship game that year?? What will be the feeling, for instance, if Tech won the ACCCG and was going to the Orange Bowl, but was not one of the final four teams. Seems to me that would be a wee bit anticlimactic. Or would the war chant be "We're number five, we're number five? Could be a 15 game season for some.
    1. dressedcheeseside's Avatar
      dressedcheeseside -
      In reality all this accomplishes is extending the current system to 4 teams instead of two. In that respect, we stand the same chances we did under the old system only it's slighty easier to land in the final 4 than it is the final 2. However, I could be wrong. There could be no difference. Undefeated we're in, 1 loss we're out just like always.
    1. pckl300's Avatar
      pckl300 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside View Post
      Undefeated we're in, 1 loss we're out just like always.
      Not necessarily. We cracked the top 10 as a one loss team not too long ago.
    1. bozene's Avatar
      bozene -
      Quote Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside View Post
      In reality all this accomplishes is extending the current system to 4 teams instead of two. In that respect, we stand the same chances we did under the old system only it's slighty easier to land in the final 4 than it is the final 2. However, I could be wrong. There could be no difference. Undefeated we're in, 1 loss we're out just like always.
      Not necessarily dressed. As I read it, if a team wins their conference championship they still aren't automatically in. They still have to be ranked in the top 4 (by humans) to land a spot! But lets be real, what are the chances that Tech will ever go undefeated what with a schedule that has VT/Miami/Ugay/Clemson. So, we could be champions of the ACC but 1 loss will disqualify us.
    1. That Guy's Avatar
      That Guy -
      Quote Originally Posted by bozene View Post
      Not necessarily dressed. As I read it, if a team wins their conference championship they still aren't automatically in. They still have to be ranked in the top 4 (by humans) to land a spot! But lets be real, what are the chances that Tech will ever go undefeated what with a schedule that has VT/Miami/Ugay/Clemson. So, we could be champions of the ACC but 1 loss will disqualify us.
      Did you guys just blow past the whole concept of the selection committee choosing based on SoS, conference champs, and other factors? GT as a conference champ with 1 loss has a decent shot assuming at least a couple of strong wins on the resume. Would we trump a 1-loss SEC champ? Probably not. But we'd be in the discussion with any 1 loss Pac 12, B1G, and Big12 champs and ahead of the BE champ. The ACC is the 5th conference right now overall, but our champ in any given year can certainly be in the discussion with the other conference champs and most likely won't get jumped by an at-large unless the champ had 2-3 losses (like has happened before).
    1. Curious's Avatar
      Curious -
      Remarkable that very soon after a couple of cheesy politicians started talking about an investigation and the president spoke out for it, the Gordian Knot that prevented it for years was cut. Certainly it had to be coincidental.