• OL Thomas O'Reilly Transfer to Georgia Tech a Done Deal

    Yahoo sports is reporting that former Auburn offensive lineman Thomas O'Reilly has landed at Georgia Tech.

    The 6'3" 325 pound former Pope High School (Marietta, Ga) player was rated the No. 7 offensive guard in the country and No. 14 player in Georgia by 247Sports. He was named to the All-Southeast region team by PrepStar and selected to play in the 2011 Under Armour All-America game following his senior season.

    With his size and athleticism O'Reilly could potentially play any of the five offensive line positions.

    Or could Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson utilize the big lineman at a "need position"... nose tackle??
    Comments 16 Comments
    1. Combat Engineer's Avatar
      Combat Engineer -
      Great news. Welcome aboard young man.

      Future NT?
    1. stylee's Avatar
      stylee -
      Was he a defensive lineman in high school or something?
    1. stonedwall's Avatar
      stonedwall -
      glad they've sealed the deal.

      wish we could see him on the field this season. guess we have something to look forward to in the coming years.
    1. Jim Hart's Avatar
      Jim Hart -
      Quote Originally Posted by stylee View Post
      Was he a defensive lineman in high school or something?
      stylee.. my memory is that Georgia Tech wanted O'Reilly as a defensive lineman coming out of high school but my memory isn't as good as it used to be.
    1. awbuzz's Avatar
      awbuzz -
      Good to see that it is all but official

      Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    1. TECH61's Avatar
      TECH61 -
      Would this count as a CPJ recruit.....and they say he can't recruit.
    1. alagold's Avatar
      alagold -
      Quote Originally Posted by stylee View Post
      Was he a defensive lineman in high school or something?
      Since he is near prob 350 now,I can't see on the Oline any time soon.in our Off.
    1. stylee's Avatar
      stylee -
      Quote Originally Posted by alagold View Post
      Since he is near prob 350 now,I can't see on the Oline any time soon.in our Off.
      If he slimmed down to 315-325, I think it's a real possibility. He was big in high school, but very athletic looking.

      NT is, of course, much more of a "need" right now...
      but we won't have Uzzi when O'Reilly's able to play. It'd be nice to have a big, bad boy to take his spot.
      and we've got a whole lot of DL in the last two classes, right?
    1. Combat Engineer's Avatar
      Combat Engineer -
      Quote Originally Posted by stylee View Post
      Was he a defensive lineman in high school or something?
      Not hardly.

      "HIGH SCHOOL: Rated as the No. 7 offensive guard in the nation, the No. 14 recruit from Georgia and the No. 169 player overall nationally by 247Sports ... Listed as the nation's No. 8 offensive guard by ESPN.com/Scouts Inc. and the No. 145 player overall on the ESPNU 150 ... Rated 12th nationally among offensive guards and centers by MaxPreps ... Named the nation's No. 19 offensive guard and the No. 35 player from the state of Georgia by Rivals.com ... Ranked No. 31 nationally among offensive guards by Scout.com ... Listed as the No. 40 recruit from Georgia by SuperPrep ... Named to the All-Southeast Region team by PrepStar ... Selected to play in the 2011 Under Armour All-America game following his senior season ... Ranked No. 96 in the Mobile Press-Register's Super Southeast 120 ... Named to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super 11 team and ranked No. 32 on its Fab 50 ... Named to the Class AAAA All-State first team by the Georgia Sports Writers Association as a senior, and selected to the AJC's Class AAAAA first-team offense as a junior."

      This kid was a hoss coming out of high school.
    1. dressedcheeseside's Avatar
      dressedcheeseside -
      Quote Originally Posted by Combat Engineer View Post
      Not hardly.

      "HIGH SCHOOL: Rated as the No. 7 offensive guard in the nation, the No. 14 recruit from Georgia and the No. 169 player overall nationally by 247Sports ... Listed as the nation's No. 8 offensive guard by ESPN.com/Scouts Inc. and the No. 145 player overall on the ESPNU 150 ... Rated 12th nationally among offensive guards and centers by MaxPreps ... Named the nation's No. 19 offensive guard and the No. 35 player from the state of Georgia by Rivals.com ... Ranked No. 31 nationally among offensive guards by Scout.com ... Listed as the No. 40 recruit from Georgia by SuperPrep ... Named to the All-Southeast Region team by PrepStar ... Selected to play in the 2011 Under Armour All-America game following his senior season ... Ranked No. 96 in the Mobile Press-Register's Super Southeast 120 ... Named to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super 11 team and ranked No. 32 on its Fab 50 ... Named to the Class AAAA All-State first team by the Georgia Sports Writers Association as a senior, and selected to the AJC's Class AAAAA first-team offense as a junior."

      This kid was a hoss coming out of high school.
      How did 247 have him the #7 guard in the country, Rivals had him at #19 and Scout #31? Ahhhh, the science of recruiting rankings.
    1. Curious's Avatar
      Curious -
      Quote Originally Posted by dressedcheeseside View Post
      How did 247 have him the #7 guard in the country, Rivals had him at #19 and Scout #31? Ahhhh, the science of recruiting rankings.
      Just luck?
    1. gtpharmd's Avatar
      gtpharmd -
      Regardless of the exact number, he's probably one of the more highly recruited OL prospects we'll have on the roster. Who knows? Maybe they'll use him on the DL, but unless he took a couple of big steps backward at Aubbie, my guess is he'll be on the OL. Let's assume he was the 31st best OG in the nation out of HS - that'd make him the most talented OL we've brought to Tech in several years...I'd have a hard time seeing him move to DL if he was that talented.
    1. PatrickinGa's Avatar
      PatrickinGa -
      Hopefully, he isn't a "was that talented".

      We need for him to be an "IS that talented"
    1. AllGT's Avatar
      AllGT -
      Where is all this talk of him playing on the DL coming from? Just curious...
    1. gtpharmd's Avatar
      gtpharmd -
      Quote Originally Posted by AllGT View Post
      Where is all this talk of him playing on the DL coming from? Just curious...
      From here - it may be just Jim throwing an idea out there
    1. alagold's Avatar
      alagold -
      on paper he is a better risk than a high school Sr- otoh /but he has only 3 yrs and we are not empty at OG where he is likely to play